Kratom Extract vs Powder - Which Is Better for You?
Kratom consumption can be accomplished in two ways. Either the plant is prepared and mixed with a beverage such as tea, or an extract can be produced from the plant using a chemical process.
What is the difference? Why should the kratom consumer care?
From a chemistry point of view kratom possesses one of the most complex compound structures of the plant kingdom, containing a vast range of alkaloids. Therefore the impact on the product from the method of preparation, can greatly affect many aspects of consumption.
Advantages of consumption as extract
- As extract, there is less chance of consuming actual plant matter which could cause distress to stomach
- The level of alkaloid may differ when consuming the leaf directly. When consuming as an extract, alkaloid levels remain consistent
- The dose is more controlled as an extract, as potency is standardized. Consuming the leaf may provide different potencies, requiring unexpected higher doses
- The effects take place faster as an extract, due to the need for the body to break down plant matter
- Extracts are usually more convenient as they can be consumed on demand without any additional steps needed for preparation
- Extracts are better able to be preserved over the long term
Disadvantages of consumption as extract
- As extraction requires more labor, the extract tends to be more expensive
- The extracts tend to be less than the full spectrum standard, which results in lesser potency due to the change in alkaloid levels during the extraction process
- As the extract dosages are consistent, this may result in developing a major tolerance spike for its effects
- Poor manufacturing processes when producing the extract may lead to the presence of contaminants
- Additives in the extract may cause allergies
- Extracts tend to be more appealing to children due to flavoring to disguise earthy flavor. They also may not be packaged in a child proof way
The bottom line is that kratom extract can work for some, while the actual leaf has its own benefits. There is no question that kratom extract provides unique advantages, but one should do the research and decide what is good for them.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. Mitragyna Speciosa products offered by Mountkratom are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult your healthcare professional prior to use if you have or suspect a medical condition. If you are under medical supervision, are using anti-depressants, anti-anxiety medications, diabetes medications, narcotics, blood pressure medication, sedatives, tranquilizers or asthma medication, seek the advice of your healthcare professional prior to use. Do not use if you are pregnant, lactating or under the age of 18 years. Do not take when operating machinery or driving. Keep out of reach of children. These products contain botanicals that have not been classified and approved by The U. S. Food and Drug Administration as a dietary ingredient.